Wednesday, August 19, 2009

T.S. Eliot

I unearthed a stack of books (by unearthed, I mean I found them on the desk) from my old office that I used as Herron Editor, a post which I held on to like a vice for a good semester. Anyway, among them was one of my more loved books of poetry. ''The Wasteland'' and Other Poems by T. S. Eliot. I'm looking forward to settling down to some form of reflective string or piano music and re reading my favorite poem of this selection:  "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock". Some of my favorite lines are below. 



Do I dare
Disturb the Universe?
In a minute there is time
For decisions and revisions which a minute will reverse.

For I have known them all already, known them all –
Have known the evenings, mornings, afternoons,
I have measured out my life with coffee spoons;
I know the voices dying with a dying fall
Beneath the music from a farther room.
So how should I presume?

No comments: